Thursday, August 16, 2012

And we celebrated Independence Day

The brat has always been a firm proponent of the fact that if there is opportunity to perform in public, he will be there in the first spot in the queue, hair in the metaphoric braid. Ergo, when the notice went up on the notice board of the building that children interested in participating in the Independence Day celebrations by either singing a patriotic song, or being part of the fancy dress competition needed to register their names at the society office, he trotted off without a by your leave and signed himself up for the patriotic song singing competition.
He came home and duly informed me of the same.
"Mamma, I signed my name for patriotic song," he said, in what has now become trademark surly manner. (Yes, yes, I'm suspecting this is to ease me gently into when he finally hits adolescence).
"Okay," I replied, after I had peeled myself off the floor knowing that my darling son possesses many talents, but singing is not one of them. Sure, he has the energy, the enthusiasm and the charm in truckloads that makes one forget the need of an actual singing voice, but. Nonetheless, I continued gravely. "Do you have a song in mind?"
"Yus. I will sing Nanha Munha Raahi Hoon." He had mugged up this song a week ago for a school performance and it was still relatively at the surface of his rather shallow memory.
"I wanta soljer costum," he stated. This being a day before the event and me not being of the maternal genus that will raid costum shops and ensure that the son is togged out in appropriate costume in time for the event in question.
"If I can find a soldier costume I will get one for you, else you will just wear a kurta pyjama," I informed him, matter of factly.
He rolled around on the floor tantrumming for around ten minutes and then said. "Den I will wear orange Tshird with green pants and blue cap." The mind's eye turned red at the thought.
The day of the singing dawned bright and cheerful. The brat rehearsed his song a couple of times before trotting down, giving air to the larynx freely. he consented to wear a kurta pyjama but drew the line at a green and blue stole.
The kids started singing. Kid one-Nanha Munha Rahi. Kid Two-Nanha Munha Rahi. This went on till Kid eight. Who happened to be the brat. Obviously many parents had thought the song was the only one amongst all the patriotic songs we have which was appropriate for kids. The brat was unfazed, he took the mike confidently and started out. Para one went smoothly. At Para Two, he blanked out and stared at me in shock. He then recovered enough to sing the refrain twice in a row and then inform the audience that since everyone sang the same song they already knew the words and bowed politely, saying Dhanyavad.
The audience, god bless their souls, was generous with their applause.
He returned home with stars in his eyes. "I'm goingtu be a singer. Everybody claps for me."

5 comments:

  1. What stage presence!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's seriously funny. "you know the words..." and pretty bright too. Lolz.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:44 PM

    hahhahahaha ROFL...so cute..that Brat of yours:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this information with all of us. Yes, I did hear about this from my friend yesterday and also saw the video. Noble cause from Jumpin with a hilarious touch to it.

    ReplyDelete